Wednesday, June 03, 2009

cute rats.

I've had some squirrel issues in the past.
big ones.
1  and    2  and   3     
seems those "issues" have followed me to this house too. Perhaps it's the same squirrel all grown up? How long do squirrels live? This is nearly 4 years to the week since that first squirrel encounter.... Now, if you're reading this as a note on facebook- and not in my blog, you've probably been following the updates about the squirrels to date, and you're probably thinking this is redundant... get over it. I need something to complain about.

I've decided that since the landlord isn't selling the house out from under us, that I'd like to take a little time to work in the garden... and more specifically, grow some food for the bunnies and I.  I've managed (with a lot of help from the garden hobbit party*) to get the garden in working order- enough so that I've been able to move a bunch of the perennials out of the central bed- and have started a few veggies... combine that with the planters, and I've got a mini kitchen garden. (nearly a mini farm**)

last week the trouble started.
the squirrels dug up my lettuce. and chomped and dug up my cantaloupe plants. then just dug a bunch of holes in the beets and spinach. thanks.
yesterday, and twice today.... all of my beans have been eaten (they'd just been put in the ground)(I know, a little late, but the temps have been sooo cold) my zucchini seeds got eaten. the new cantaloupe plants were ripped out of their soil. chomped on the hubburd squash seedlings. The little broccoli plants had been tunnelled under... the fancy "fractal" broccoli seeds were dug up (uneaten) and the morning glories ripped out of the soil.
the only things they didn't touch (yet) were the winter squash, cauliflower, two types of carrots, and the pea plants.

I hate squirrels. 

* garden hobbit party:: a lovely group of people travelling from garden to garden, sharing the work load and some good food. I love my hobbits.

**there are mini cows to be had. I'm doomed.
no really.. just picture it... mini cows, babydoll sheep, pygmy goats... and giant bunnies.
 

3 comments:

The Bunns said...

How do you retain your composure .. all that work ... gone to squirrel ... ughhhh

Nursedude said...

I have a friend with a pathological hatred of squirrels. Many of her tactics to eradicate the cute little fellas border on (or cross right over into) the scary. She's tried poison, traps and enjoys shooting them the most. Some day I'm sure we'll go by her house and see a row of little chip and dale heads on mini poles running the length of her driveway interspersed with the Noma lights to guide the way at night.

Kevin said...

I think it's wonderful that you're endeavoring to grow your own food - and perhaps you are more successful than you think:

http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zsquir.html