Tuesday, July 08, 2008

under the trees, I felt my heart happy

I went camping.
And now I wish that I didn't have to be home.
In fact.... all I want is to be back out there... not that I'm the best camper... it was noted that I've become increasingly skittish around campsite critters... I was willing to jump up on the picnic table when Mr.Coon made his arrival- and the single appearance of a june bug had me jittering for quite awhile (hoodie fully drawn!). But, it was more the whole group of people I was with.
I went with some friends from university- people that I've stayed in touch with over the years, and who were very important to me while I was at school.

I was hit by something big (well, not as big as the BMW that hit Frase- but that's another story) this weekend.
I haven't been able to shake the feeling of it

I'd forgotten how good it felt to be with friends that had a similar world view- friends from a similar set of experiences- friends with similar tastes- friends with similar interests... Friends that I could relate to on several levels, and who could challenge/stimulate me ...
I need to make it clear... I LOVE my friends/peers that I have here at home... but there's something to be said about the relationships that are built in the nurturing environment found in similarities... vs. the friendships that grow out of proximity.

I read this.. and it sounds horrible. Like I'm unhappy with the friends I'm with here in the 'Burg... not the case..
I just remembered this weekend what it means to be in relationship.

I don't really want to settle for less.

No comments: