Wednesday, July 23, 2008

my feets

... and my feats.

Babykate and I are still running. That's one of the great things about her... she gets something in her head, and she's not ever going to let it go till she's accomplished it. I may have no motivation of my own on some days, but she's there ready to drag me along.
I have to admit, being nearly 11 years older than her- I can really feel my age slowing me. She runs flat out, even after we've just finished all sorts of strange sprints/stretches... while I'm barely able to keep moving. 
Thankfully, it's my pride keeping me going.
Never thought I'd be thankful for pridefulness.

Anyway, we're still doing the same route. It's about 5 km, (and hour and a bit when you walk hard) and we have only been (for the last week) running for about two blocks of it. We're both new to the world of running, and we know we've got to start out slow if it's something we're going to continue. 
Tonight we doubled the running portion. 
AND we added the sprint/stretches. 
I think if we hadn't been doing that crazy "kill me now" stuff (extra back and forth across a section of the peace park) I could likely have doubled again the amount of running we did. 
My recovery after the running portions is less than half what it was... after only two weeks! I'm feeling really good.
Our goal is to be able to run (however slowly) the full route the Wednesday before the festival... that's only 36 days from now. (Baby leaves for university the day after SVFF).
We can do it.
I feel like I'm giving myself a pep talk every step of the way.
But, we really can do it.

I think.... next pay cheque= new running shoes.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You should check out the podcasts on this website: c25k.com
Good for you guys... trying to get up the motivation... but still not happening yet?!?

LStew said...

yeah you can do it. i know you can. and i'm even a little jealous.

Deb Cushman said...

Good for both of you! Way to go! You have a lot more energy and stick-to-it-ness than we do!