Monday, July 28, 2008

fam damn-ily

I love my family... now, family reunions... I'm not so fond of.

Ok, I like the part where I get to see everyone and catch up with them- I like the part where we get too see the little kids and how much they've grown. I even enjoy the drive down!

I don't however enjoy the comments made by "well meaning" family members- the ones that hurt without intention- but are made without a thought before they're said.

For example- three cousins have had some fertility issues... including several losses each. But, that doesn't stop people.... "when are you going to give little [kid's name] a brother or sister? it must be lonely for them?" or "it's too bad [delightful devil child] is an only baby, when are you two going to give him/her a sister?" I'll admit I was thankful that I was only asked BY EVERY FREAKIN' PERSON when I was going to settle down and start my own family... And only twice did someone say "well [patting my shoulder and looking sadly at me], it's never too late, someday, someone will come along".
/me bangs head on desk.

I had lined up a baby for use at the reunion. But knew full well that no one else in the car would want me to be bringing a borrowed baby along for the ride.
Maybe next year I can show up with my illegitimate child and throw them for a loop.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

I think the illegitimate child is the right way to go... just don't tell CH

Percipia said...

Yeah. More effective than a pretend fiance. Although, not more fun, necessarily.

r

Deb Cushman said...

My neighbor and I used to joke about starting a business to rent out our children for special events like reunions. Bet we could have made a fortune!

Next time, just smile sweetly and reply, "I have met someone, but didn't want to ruin the relationship by bringing him along to meet you!"

Or else, wear a name tag that says, "I don't plan to ever settle down, want to make something of it?"

Or you could bring a big doll and carry it around with you all day! Just see who has the guts to ask!
Deb (who hates going to reunions of any kind -- can you tell?

Nixie's Mom said...

meh...they are all jealous of being tied down with kids!..

I here ya on the 'lonely' one child thing. Annika has never mentioned once that she is lonely!

RG said...

You got rabbits ... all is well!!!

LStew said...

you can borrow my 'baby on board' sign that i got for my birthday.