Thursday, May 15, 2008

#987 (getting closer!)

At one point in time, I'd found a second to breathe and went to a sacred harp shapenote singing.
(check out this site for info)
Singing makes me breathless... not in the way where there's no way to breathe, but in the way that a harmony can knock the wind right out of me... I think I've talked about the "ache" before.

Resolutely Outmoded found this quote, and while I think it was more directed at the shapenote tradition, I think it is fantastic.

“Get enough people singing weird harmonies at the top of their voices and you
start feeling a little sorry for the devil.”
- Joe Dempsey, Washington City Paper

3 comments:

Elizabeth Ann said...

I'm glad you appreciated the quote! And thanks again for singing with us at the fair. We were quite delighted to have you. Hopefully you'll be able to come again sometime!

Crilly said...

The East choir once joined in with a lot of other choirs around Toronto to sing in a mass choir. There must have been close to 1000 voices.
There was this section in a song we sang where every vocal part was singing a different run of dissonant notes. I could decide if it was driving me nuts, or it was the ultimate in white noise.

RG said...

Sounds like me and 11 bunns singing .... well, sort of humming and cooing and that kind of stuff they do.