Sunday, April 20, 2008

a trail of shimmering, night of two moons

Living lakeside means no end to the opportunities for photo sessions. I need to get back in the habit of carrying my camera with me...
Tonight is a full(ish?) moon... I rounded the corner into the harbour and was greeted by this giant yellow red moon, just hovering on the water. Immediately I regretted leaving my camera at home. And like a good facebooker should, I updated my status via cell to alert all I know to my blunder.
I stood and watched for a few minutes, the geese floating on the water, chasing shadows.
People were starting to look at me funny, standing in the middle of the road and all, so I kept walking, past the harbour and onto the beach.

Now, one of the best sights ever on a clam night, is that trail of shimmering that leads from the edge of the beach to the bottom of the moon. A golden path rippled with tiny waves, maybe the silhouette of the lifeguard's chair breaking the light.
Tonight did not disappoint.
I walked out of the entrance way, onto the boardwalk to see.... two moons.
Two moons connected by that shimmering trail.
The second moon a reflection of the first... but only feet away.
The beach is flooded!
I couldn't look away! I jumped down off the walk into the mushy sand to check it out up close. Not 15 feet from the boardwalk the water starts... now, it's more like a giant puddle, it's not attached to the lake, there's a rise in the sand that's keeping them separate... but, instead of 200+ plus feet of prime suntanning, there's 200+ feet of prime puddle jumping!
I may have to borrow roomie's niece tomorrow for an excuse to run around in my pretty boots in the water.

I figure it's run off water... it's been around 20 degrees the past two days, everything is melting in overdrive, at this rate, the ground frost will be gone by Wednesday.

No comments: