Tuesday, April 08, 2008

my shack, your shack, and a bungalow

Other than those little picture books from growing up... the first bible story I ever learned was the story of Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego... and the furnace. (Daniel 3 if you want to check it out).
I heard it at "the Ranch" (MCCR) and from there... ended up spending the next 10 years of my life working there. Just a summer job (for the most part) I'd start in May or June and live on the property till September wound it's way into the valley. In later years, I'd work there all seasons, teaching riding lessons in the evening, leading retreats and "horse clubs" on the weekends. All told, I figure I lived there 3 years of my life... if not more.
This past weekend at church, Scott was speaking about Daniel. The funny thing is... I'd never paid too much attention to his part of the story. And it really fit with what's going on in my own life right now. But that's not what this post is about.

Today I got an email that said the ranch had finally sold... 100 acres of memories. I tried not to cry when I read the email. That place shaped me in a huge way.... for the good, and for the bad (as is the case with life). I think I'm going to do a "time travel" week here in the Parsley Patch. Maybe dig out some old journals... lol, from back in the days before blogs.

1 comment:

RG said...

You might know the singer Ian Tyson who has done many songs about things like the sold ranch. The one I remember is called The Old Double Diamond (or some such) and it is pretty good (as I remember). Unfortunately, the lyrics are not available on the I-net so you have to find a recording of it!