Sunday, February 10, 2008

Sometimes a little TMI

:: disclaimer.... this might be more than you wanted to know::

Back after my birthday I wrote that I had a TMI post coming up. But, in the end I didn't write it. My dear friends, after a small gathering that included one boy (who didn't flinch away too much), may I present a post entitled "a pirate in my pants".

Sometimes, I have a pirate in my pants.
Sometimes a happy meal.... k, wait, no, that sounded really bad.
Most of you know that Roomie one (to be henceforth known as DoulaS) and I were taking great pains to cut down on out environmental inpact at our last apartment (we're still trying, just getting back into the groove around the new house). Small steps that we took to cut our water consumption by HALF, and reduced our garbage (not including bunny cage stuff) to just over half a bag every two weeks. I'm not sure how much we reduced our electric bill, 'cause many of the choices we made there... we started when we first moved in, switching our light bulbs to those crazy energy efficiant ones, not using the air con unless the candles were melting (cause those are good indicators that you need to cool down), lights on timers, lights off when you leave the room, using the georgie instead of grilling and broiling (george takes way less time and energy than that old stove) yadda yadda yadda. We did some composting in the summer time, but we didn't have a yard, so we had to hang on to the bucket or bag (biodegradable) till we were going to a home with a composter... We even started thinking about setting up our own worm bin in the kitchen (vermicomposting)!
Some of the changes included switching to recycled paper products (toilet paper, paper towels) and trying hard not to use those paper towels- which is why so many of our tea towels are now stained funny... I should really do something about that.
We both switched to the Diva cup and I haven't bought pads or tampons in a year and a half!

Which now brings me to the pirates and the happy meal... and the bunny, and the diet coke... in my pants.

DoulaS found her true calling. Back when we were in high school, and I thought that maybe I was a quilter at heart, when things would get really annoying... somone would shout "THAT'S IT! I'M BUYING FABRIC!" and we'd stomp over to some store and dig thru the bins of pretty fat quarters. Well... now I've got piles of cute fabric, (and paper!) But DoulaS found people actually putting that hording instinct to good use, and started to investigate cloth pads. (Check her site for a bunch of links)(down in the "that time of the month" link section)(I'm not even joking).
I had NO idea that people still did that... but there have been a ton of changes since our granny's pads...

Anyway, for my birthday, I got a selection of pretty pads... (don't worry, the picture is of them new and unused)



meh... camera phone pictures always suck.

that post ended up being a lot longer than I intended.
All I wanted to write about was the pads.

2 comments:

RG said...

Ah - yes. Thanks you for that.

For a good cause though.

L.Bo Marie said...

oh Bunny Saint! lol, I did give fair TMI alert though... right?