Sunday, November 25, 2007

there's a key for every lock

You know how sometimes in life things just aren't so great? Not as organized as you'd like (take my bedroom for one) or doesn't fit into the box you wish it would fit into?
It's when that happens that I'm always glad for the constants.
The things that I can take for granted because they don't change. The things I can be overly confidant in.
One of those is that there is a key in a "hidden" place for when I lock myself out. (Anyone who's been to my place is laughing right now.... it's hidden so well)
I can go on walks without my keys, I can go on bike rides in pants with no pockets... all because I have a key in a safe place waiting for me when I return.

Tonight I left the house without my purse... who wants to walk by themselves with a purse in the dark around town? NOT I! As I shut the door, I glanced casually in the direction of where the key lays in wait and thought to myself (and I distinctly remember thinking this tonight) "I'm so glad that I'm organized in at least one part of my life... I don't have to carry my keys with me."
With that thought, I shut the door and bounded off down the stairs.

Fast forward a few hours.

Wearily climbing the stairs to the house, patting myself on the back yet again for the preparedness of my being.... (I was, after all, a girl guide for nearly my entire adolescence) I reached for the key.
And remembered dropping it into my purse when I came home earlier.
The purse inside the house.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh that's the worst feeling isn't it? I hope you were able to get in without too much trouble!

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. Have done that several times. Once had to wake up landlords at 1:13 am when i got back from T.O. Once had to have brother climb up and break in second story window. other times (yes, other times!!) have called locksmith. rj

Anonymous said...

::applauds:: :D