Saturday, October 07, 2006

house

The other night was house group.
I LOVE house. It's great, small group stuff for the teens at a church in town that I help with, each week we get together for a few hours of ridiculous fun games, and some serious chat time. We've only been going for a few weeks so far this year, and it's been neat to see where these kid's hearts are.
ANYWAY
part of the House experience is a service project out in the community once every 4 weeks (I think.. maybe it's less often?) So the other night we had our first. We combined the two groups and hit the town for a food drive that covered most of the town. It was advertised on the radio all day, and people were talking about it around town... here's the thing...
These teens were doing something to help others.
They were taking time to help others.
They were using normal teen time that would have been used for homework or hanging out with their friends to serve others in need.
We went door to door, and I COULD NOT believe the number of people out there who closed the door.
We'd give our speal, "we're from.... and we are doing a thanksgiving food drive to help out our local food bank.... would you have..."
and people would either close the door, or if we were lucky, they'd say "not at this time".

a box of Kraft Dinner guys... that's all we want!
I was really surprised at the fact that at the Thanksgiving season, people weren't willing to share what they had, even when we made it easy for them by coming to their home... I know most people say they don't help out because they don't have the time.... but seriously! All in all I was dissapointed in my town. I'm a little frustrated still.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is a sad story... In spite of the fact I am way beyond broke... if someone had asked me for food to donate I still would've raided the cupboards for food. I know there are always going to be people that are worse off then me. After all I have a full time job.