Wednesday, September 27, 2006

I swear I saw a dragon...


ELLIOT!!!!!

A dragon a dragon, I swear I saw a dragon....



I wiped out impetigo on the banks of Buttermilk
Flu is under firm control in Powderhole
Terminus potions, tablets and lotions
Major news and modern science

Step up now and join my clients
Spent the day in Buzzard's Bay
They couldn't keep me there
Even turned away from Kingdom Hall
But since I was young, good Lord there's one spot
One little bit of Heaven on my tongue
Why it's...Poddamaquassy, no,
no...Paquamasoddy, no, Passamamassy, uh, Quoddamapoddy
p...p...Passamadaddy, uh, Quoddamapassy, uh, Passamahoddy?
Oh, I know! It's Passamashloddy!

Townsfolk:No, it's Passamaquoddy!

ok, just had to get that out of my system.



This past weekend I got to "experience" first hand, my first dragon boat race.... and, well... it was an experience for sure. I was on the "Dragonflies" team, the official CH team that is. We had six of our guys and six supporting staff... the team was hilarious. "Harvey" was (as usual) my charge for the day... And he was in fine form, yelling and looking for his girlfriend from the moment we arrived at the harbour. In tow were two other guys from the house, "Fred" and "the sheriff". The Sheriff was pretty stressed about some upcoming events and spent most of his time pacing back and forth and somehow getting in EVERYONE's way all at the same time. Fred... Was Fred. Kept asking me if I hated him, asking everyone around him if they hated him... He was doing great.
As we were getting on the boat, Harvey kept running into people he knew, which distracted him from getting on the boat, so it ended up our team was the last to leave the dock. He yelled at everyone he met "HAVE YOU MET MY GIRLFRIEND?!!!" and then would yell until he saw her... Then yell her position, then yell asking what they thought, then moved on to the next person. By the time we got on the boat my ears hurt! On the boat he yelled out "LIZBETH, YOU'RE GOING DOWN!!!!!" to which everyone laughed... But moments later he was yelling "LIZ.. YOU DON'T HATE ME DO YOU????" "CAN WE STILL GO OUT?"

Getting on the boat:: I need to take a moment to explain the process of getting on the boat.... We were at the loading ramp, which includes a floating dock... Floating docks can only hold so much weight... And when the weight all moves to one end... Or edge... That end or edge sinks. The population we serve isn't a light one.... Needless to say, the dock was nearly underwater when we made our way out to the boat.... We made it on without getting our feet too wet. As we settled ourselves into our seats a VERY heavy man walked to the end of the dock... The dock went under the water several inches.... And I saw this strange blur out of the corner of my eye... Didn't think much of it until we started to paddle away from the dock.

Now getting away from the dock should have been easy... But when half your paddlers are paddling in the wrong direction, or not paddling at all... Well.. It takes some time. As we pulled away the water started to drip onto my legs... "Wow" I thought, "I must be a really sloppy paddler, I'm splashing all over the place" and I reached down to wipe the water away......
it was then that I discovered what the blur from the dock was.... We were not alone.
I was covered in spiders.


We eventually made it to the start line, encouraging everyone to paddle forward... We waited for the horn to announce the start of the race, we'd been cuing everyone to what they should do, but as we waited, one more staff decided to ensure everyone knew... "What do we do when the horn goes?" the voice called out... And in reply, in a loud voice with a strong speech impediment called out what we needed to hear "WE WIN!"
In the end, it didn't matter that we came last, the guys had a great time, they felt great for getting their boat to the finish line, they were proud to hear everyone cheering for them, and they wore their medals and marched off thru the crowds.

No comments: