Sunday, September 24, 2006

Backyard wildlife

When in your backyard you host an abandoned tannery (or any other decrepit factory left to rot). The wildlife of your neighbourhood will begin to take up residence in it.
In the past we've had countless raccoons (like those who created Australia in the past, and the ones that have created the USA (with fat Florida) just recently) innumerable skunks, rats, mice, and goodness-knows-what run past our home (or crawl onto our roof and chew their way in!).
Last night I went to go for my walk and was nearly run over.
By a fox.
A big one! With a HUGE tail. It was only two sidewalk squares away from me, and even then only because I hissed at it before it ran me over. I think I scared it pretty bad. It must have been distracted by something else to not have noticed me, and when it did, it leapt to the side and traveled down the sidewalk back towards the trainstation.

This morning I saw a coyote run across the road on my way to church, and a little further on the hyw, another... The second one was flat. And untouched... and I know it's been there for at least two days (b/c I passed it the other night) and it got me to thinking... Are scavengers not tasty to scavenge? I've never seen anything eating a dead seagull either.

No comments: