Tuesday, June 27, 2006

of hedges and trimmers

not that I like to dwell on things... but.. ok, I'm a little OCD sometimes.
My attack on the neighbour's hedge is going well... a little at a time, we'll claim back the remaining third of the sidewalk. (By we... I mean... uh... all pedestrians.. yeah.. that's it) Sunday night I was walking home from my guy's apartment (he's got cable!!!!) and decided to make use of the dusk as a light cover on my rampage. I was clearing a large chunk when I realized there was a vehicle at the set of lights behind me... and saw they were watching me.... I pretended not to notice... and tried to blend in with the giant bush. It didn't work so well.
This is a small town.
PaSheff rolls down his window as he passes and calls "Lesley's in the amazon".....

flashback to Friday... a BUSY day at work, much driving to support people at their jobs much trying to be everywhere at once.
I arrived at one of the CH homes, and as I drove in the long driveway I watched and heard the branches as they dragged across the van. Thankfully, I had the heavy duty hedge trimmers that belong to work in the back, so I set to work on the offending plants.
Key word in that last sentence would be "heavy"... gas powered... heavy..... not made of plastic.... heavy.... two handles.... heavy.... industrial type...

I got maybe a fifth of the drive done, hacking in about 3 feet of brush, and well above my head... wow, the driveway is really wide now, and discovered I could no longer lift my arms above my shoulders... no problem, I'd clear the brush to the compost pile, then start again.... I dragged the branches to the back, and stopped inside to sign something... only to discover I had NO fine motor skills- only shaking. I went back outside to start the trimmers back up... nope, couldn't pull the rope to start it. *sigh* the hedge had beaten me.

The next morning (Saturday) I had gimpy arms. It was sad. I was useless.

I'm thinking of doing a drive by of the neighbour's offensive hedge with the work van and trimmers ;)

No comments: