Thursday, November 10, 2005

AM mixed emotions

the one thing I dread is to be woken by the telephone... it brings me to AWAKE faster than anything else can. My heart POUNDS.... RACES... THREATENS to break from my chest.... there's dizziness and nausea... I think it's because of that one time, back in my year between high school and university, I slept in- when I was suppose to be at work.... I woke to the shrill voice of the unicorn ringing (unicorn story another day). When I picked up the phone, my boss simply asked "so you're waiting to come in at the executive hour?" and hung up.
I got to work 17 minutes later.
Now... let's get this straight... I wasn't one of those kids who slept in... this was at Curtis Chicks... we started at 5:25 each morning. And I walked. Uphill, both ways, in the snow, barefoot, carrying a load of coal, and my children on my back and... oh sorry.. wrong life.
I digress...
the one thing I dread is to be woken by the telephone...
This morning my phone rang at 7:50. This had the potential to ruin the day.
Thankfully, it was a call inviting me to go to the Royal Winter Fair.... not something that could ruin my day at all.
THEN my alarm clock went off just a little while later (it's set to radio)...
and what came on?
A little bita Gordon Lightfoot... a little bita the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.
today is the 30th anniversary of that day...

No comments: