Thursday, August 18, 2005

S vs. Z... the debate is ongoing

All my life, I've struggled with my spelling. I had a "free the vowels" type teacher in my early years who decided it was better not to make young children conform, but better to allow them to express themselves freely and creatively in their spelling. Looking back now, I figure she probably couldn't spell either.. it was just her excuse.
I now struggle with when to use an "S" and when so use a "Z".
I am not alone in this issue.
I have a young friend (who for the moment shall go unnamed) He has a problem with his pronunciation... ok well, really, it's just in the pronunciation of my name.. the dear young man CANNOT seem to understand the difference between "Lesley" and "Lezley".
OH!!! the horror of it all!!!
I am one traumatized by the endless taunting of young children, one with nightmares due to the tease.. ok, not really, I've just gotten carried away again.
To make matters worse, this poor poor boy is cursed with an "S" name himself! yes, poor Simon, forever doomed to hold the moniker "ZIMON" as his own....
let us all take a moment to grieve for this young lad and his speech impediment as he sets out on this... the first day of the next year of his life.....
Happy Birthday Zimon!
-again, I call all the able hands in Togo, West Africa to pin this boy down and plant him with many sloppy kisses!

No comments: