Sunday, March 06, 2005

RGM Concert

I just went for a nice walk on the beach. it's sad that there was no one there... I guess the ice keeps people away.
I sat for awhile on one of the benches and just listened to the waves hitting the ice. It was so peaceful. I could have stayed there all night.
Last night was the "Remembering Gene MacLellan" concert. David Sheff put it on, it was really, really good.
I was dubbed "culturally illiterate" by David prior to that evening, but I think one of my favorite things was that nearly all the performers admitted to not knowing who Gene was before Dave approached them with the concept. (Gene wrote greats such as "snowbird" "put your hand in the hand" and "the call") (yeah, I had no idea...)
There was some serious talent there... Ian and Cara Jack (my new favorites) Al Kirby, Jim Yates, Ted Staunton (Port Hope hero, and story book writer, Derrick Ballard and "Northumberland Idol" Brittany Armstrong ... oh, and pretty much the entire Sheffield family.
During the coffee break Beth glances over and says "did you see who came?" I look up in time to see Aengus sauntering over to us. (anything underlined is a link guys) I blush, turn stupid and am unable to utter another syllable for the remainder of the evening. Beth launches into a conversation with him about the coming folk festival and how it WILL be different. I consider kicking her or planting my elbow in her ribs in order to be introduced... but fade into the background instead when David joins into the conversation. Spend the rest of the evening trying to find a break in which to say something ANYTHING (volunteer for the valley Fest?)... the moment arrives... and passes... I just smile at him instead.
Other than my freakazoidness... I had a great time, and I'm developing a great love for banjos.

No comments: