Sunday, November 21, 2004

Ripple Effect

I don’t really know how much has been on the news about what’s going on/ what’s happened in the Ivory Coast over in Canada. There hasn’t been much here by way of news… wait, that’s not fair for me to say… I don’t listen to the news because I have NO CLUE what they are saying! But from what I gather from people who DO listen to the news there hasn’t been that much.
Really it’s not that far away from here, so there is the ripple effect happening. Don’t worry, the political situation is “fine” and I’m totally safe. More what I mean would be the people that I know, or that are well known to people here who are being deeply effected.
Take for example the Crockers. I’ve mentioned them a few times, they are an amazing family. They just so happened to be in Abidjan when everything fell apart. They happened to be in one of the central neighbourhoods on the Saturday night when things went really bad. They could hear the riots just a few hundred feet from their compound… to hear their stories made me cry. . They were evacuated, but before they were, they were right in the middle of the riots. So now, as they are dealing with the debriefing issues, and as their family adjusts to a new life (life AFTER being in the middle of a neighborhood with bombs and guns and raping and looting) it effects everyone around them as we learn to be sensitive to their needs. Especially with the children that are involved. For awhile their teacher thought that maybe she wouldn’t stay to keep teaching (she was in Abidjan with them). But praise God, she returned to Kara yesterday and said she was staying, she’ll start back up teaching a week from now. (I’ve got some extra children in my class for now!)
Another family that I’ve met here was evacuated for the second time in their missions carrier…
Dozens of Missionaries have moved into Togo and other nearby countries as they wait to go back to their homes and friends. Some wait to see what’s left to go back to. Today we heard that some mission boards have decided to send their people back into the country! Pray that they would be safe!
Other than that, things are awesome here... except that the mountain dissapeared today :(
Harmatan is on full force!

No comments: